How to Become Epic Certified

Epic Systems is one of the most popular electronic health records (EHR) systems for large hospitals, according to a recently published report from research firm KLAS. During 2012, Epic scored the most new hospital contracts for the fifth year in a row.

If you are an IT professional who wants to implement or work on Epic software, the vendor (and most hospitals) requires you to become Epic certified.  This means you’ve been trained by Epic at their headquarters in Verona, Wis., and have passed multiple tests demonstrating your proficiency in one or more modules of the software.

Certification is module-specific. If you are interested in the Epic Ambulatory module, there is a certification for that. If you want to build your skills in Willow, the pharmacy module, you can certify in that, and so on. Epic publishes a complete catalog of all its available certifications and provides the catalog to its customers.

The most common starting point for certification is to work at a hospital that is just beginning or is in the midst of an Epic implementation. You can volunteer or be nominated for Epic certification, and should your hospital choose to sponsor your training, they will pay all or most of your costs, which can be significant as you travel back and forth to Epic.

It’s critical to note that your certification requires a sponsoring employer. You can’t just apply for Epic certification on your own. Our firm cannot sponsor your certification.

Certification also requires hands-on work on one or more Epic projects. This is typically completed at the hospital where you’re employed.  From start to end, the length of your certification journey is highly variable, depending on the module, your skill level and your availability to complete the training. The process can take a few months or up to a year or longer.

Once certified, you may undergo periodic re-certification, known as NVT (new version training), to ensure that your skills are up to date.  You may also certify in multiple modules of the software, but each requires training steps similar to those outlined above.

After you’ve become Epic-certified through a sponsoring hospital, you will probably be contractually obligated to finish the hospital’s Epic implementation. Depending on your contract terms, you may be required to stay after the go-live date to troubleshoot any hospital employees’ questions about the new software system.

When your contract with the hospital ends, they may ask if you want to extend your contract, or you may opt to become an Epic consultant, which means you will search for Epic consultant jobs and travel to other hospitals to implement the same system for a specified time.

Subscribe to Healthcare IT Leaders Blog Updates

Get healthcare IT hiring news, consulting tips, and industry insights from our experts delivered right to your inbox.

13 Responses

1. mareo mcclure says:

See this my issue. I work for a Epic help desk and I like what I do, but I am looking to grow. I am not certified in Epic and the jobs I found all want someone with Epic certifications. It's hard to find a place that is willing to take the chance to pay for someone certified.

2. Lyn Bradley says:

I am a Clinical Pharmacist with over 3 years experience on the end-user/ Superuser side; i have the same dilemma. HELP!

• Alex Gramling says:

Hi Lyn, we'd love to discuss your needs. Please email your resume to Justin Couch (jcouch@healthcareitleaders.com), our Consultant Advisor who specializes in Pharmacist job placement. I'll also send him your email address as well. Thank you, and good luck!

3. Quentin Durrstein says:

What about those who have experience with the server end of other programs? I worked with the military version called AHLTA and hoped to get certified in Epic do I could switch but no one wants you unless you are certified already from what I have seen.

• Alex Gramling says:

Hi Quentin, we may have solutions for you, too. Someone from our content team will email you privately to find out more about your background. Thanks!

4. Kathleen Dettman says:

I am a licensed practical nurse working in a clinic setting. Our facilities implemented EPIC about a year ago. I have been a Super User for nursing and providers. I would like more training and be certified. I do not plan on leaving my current place of employment. Is there any information you can share that I can take back to my team leaders?

5. Bishal Basnet says:

Can somebody assist me as to how I can get a Epic certification for Ambulatory. I work for a physicians office as a a Pediatric nurse. I am a super user and I do train new staff and assist physicians with Epic. I went for interview for the position of associate analyst for a hospital but was not selected. My office would like to sponsor me for the certification. Is there a way to go about this? Thanks

6. Adam says:

I am an ESOL teacher. I have taught adults from diverse backgrounds for years. I have years of curriculum and syllabus planning. I would like to get EPIC certified and work in the field. How do I begin?

7. Andrenett Dilday says:

I work or a company that uses epic but I want be to certified and credentialed to move ahead in my career change can someone tell me where i ca go to be certified

8. Kim says:

I am currently a trainer and curriculum developer for Epic ASAP and ADT. Unfortunately, my current employer cannot send me to WI to achieve certification in either application, nor can I achieve proficiency. I would LOVE to at least become proficient in one (or both) of these applications to not only grow my resume, but to do my job better. Is there ANYWAY that I can do that without my employer footing the bill? I would be willing to absorb the cost, but it seems that without their financial backing Epic makes that impossible.

9. Agboade Makinwa says:

Hi Alex,

I worked in the past for a Pharmaceutical company but now in a Telecom environment.
    I am really interested in having training in Epic systems as I found the jobs out there very lucrative.
    Do you over training on Epic online? If yes, what is the time frame?
    Do you also help with job placement?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Addy

• Alex Gramling says:

Hi Agboade,

We do not offer Epic training, nor is Epic training available online. The only way to become Epic certified is to train at Epic Systems' headquarters in Verona, Wis. Good luck!